Cicero Lincoln Elementary School Addition and Renovation
Distinguished Building Award Submission
Built in 1930 with a 1952 addition, this 65,000 sf school, sited in a densely populated urban neighborhood immediately adjacent to bungalow style row-houses, was in need of an addition to house increased student population. The 70,000 sf addition and renovation allowed the school to better accommodate the student population and fits gracefully into the neighborhood.
The scale and massing of the new addition connects the 1930 and 1952 additions. The bays on the addition relate the building scale to the urban row-houses across the street; extension of the bays above the roof plane relate to the crenellation of the top of the existing building walls. The horizontal brick pattern in the window lines and datums blend seamlessly between the existing school and the addition.
The addition included new shared spaces including a cafetorium, library and gymnasium. These new shared spaces float through the courtyards and connect the classrooms in both the addition and the existing school. Courtyards formed in the center of the school have become outdoor learning environments. The cafetorium, a major public space in the building, provides a daylit space during the school day and a friendly lantern to the community at night.
LEED-For-Schools Silver Eligible.
- FGM Architects Inc.
- Cicero School District 99
- AMSCO Engineering Inc
- C. E. Anderson & Associates, P.C.
- Eriksson Engineering Assoc., Ltd
- KJWW Engineering Consultants
- General contractor
- International Contractors, Inc.
- Cicero, Illinois