Senior Project Manager
Orren Pickell Building Group / Wilmette, Illinois United States
ABOUT THE COMPANY
A family-owned and operated business for 40+ years, the Orren Pickell Building Group started from modest roots. Husband and wife, Orren and Tina have run the company together for the past 40 years with Orren serving as CEO and Tina handling various roles as needed—from accounting to human resources—while consistently spearheading the Pickell Family Foundation, the company’s charitable arm.
Two of the family’s three grown children are involved in the company’s day-to-day operations. The family’s eldest child, Lisa Pickell was recently promoted to President of the company, having served for several years as its Chief Operating Officer. Working with the company for 21 years, Lisa has not only made her family and the company proud, but she’s also been recognized by her peers in the industry both regionally and nationally.
The family’s youngest, Eric Pickell, leads the firm’s Sales Division, where his extensive knowledge of sales and construction helps ensure the process moves smoothly for all clients. In this position, Eric is responsible for overseeing all Sales and Marketing initiatives as well as handling estimating of remodeling projects from start to finish all the while helping the division grow its market share.
The Orren Pickell Building Group has built a reputation for high-quality design and building and excellence in customer service. And as they pride themselves on operating as a second-generation family business with this reputation, they realize the awesome responsibility in keeping that reputation intact. Orren Pickell ensures that every home they build, every remodeling project they complete and every client interaction they have is of the highest possible level of quality, integrity and service. When one’s family name is stamped on every project, quality must endure for generations to come.
ABOUT THE JOB
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
A Senior Project Manager oversees construction projects with the project superintendent to coordinate estimates, subcontractors’ prices, resources, materials and scheduling for remodeling and new construction projects. A Senior Project Manager exercises independent judgment to ensure that projects are undertaken and completed to the company’s standards. Work load and direction is provided by the Vice President of Construction & the President.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises the Project Management team
- Performs human resource role of hiring, training, reviewing, transferring or dismissing Project Management Staff
- Sets monthly/annual goals of Project Management team
- Negotiate contracts with suppliers and subcontractors
- Annual review of MSA
- Responsible for organizing vendor information and providing feedback to Vendors.
- Provides input on Vendor eligibility
- Runs Profit Loss meetings as head of the committee
- Reviews and approves all COP’s before final distribution
- Manages the organization of the Selections Library
- Assigns PM resource per project
- Review and keep current Primavera tasks specific to Project Management and provide input on all tasks and process points
- Review 7-signature drawings for adherence to codes, errors and omissions
- Determines costs and materials for change orders, provide information to clients and obtain client’s approval for changes
- Prepare and distribute purchase orders for materials and subcontractor work
- Serve as liaison to customers, field superintendents, and material suppliers during construction
- Evaluates policies and procedures in project management process for improvements
- Mediates field problems or disputes to ensure timely completion of project
- Supervises distribution of change orders to clients and variance purchase orders to vendors
- Meets and guides customers and/or designers through Phase II – IV selections process
- Process customer specification changes
- Monitors each job cost to ensure proper reporting
- Provide product knowledge to customers
- Maintain positive vendor relationships
- Identify, screen and evaluate new subcontractor’s work
- Report task completion into Primavera schedules
- Review client Primavera schedule
- Assist superintendent in problem solving
- Determine holdback amounts for incomplete work at customer occupancy
- Attend weekly staff meetings for project feedback and updates
- Perform related duties as assigned or needed.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
A Senior Project Manager must be able to work independently and have the drive to serve the department well and in a timely fashion. Senior Project Manager is a role that requires industry and project experience with in-depth knowledge of the construction industry. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Able to plan, organize and supervise multiple projects
- Able to make independent decisions and work independently
- Exceptional ‘people skills’ with ability to present ideas and negotiate
- Able to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to carry them out
- Product knowledge of the construction industry and operations, including latest products and manpower requirements
- Proficient at MicroSoft Word and Excel
- Detailed oriented
- Able to maintain harmonious working relationship with other employees, subcontractors and clients
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires Bachelor’s Degree in in Construction/Project Management, Architecture or related degree
10-15 years’ experience
or equivalent combination of training and/or experience
CONTACT TO APPLY