Interior Designer - Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Solomon Cordwell Buenz / Chicago, IL United States / Website
ABOUT THE COMPANY
We are an Interior Design studio with a diverse portfolio of award-winning projects, including hospitality, workplace, and higher education. As an interiors team working within the infrastructure of a robust architectural and planning practice, our mission is to create unique, highly crafted interior design
experiences for our clients.
Our ideal interior design candidate has minimum 5+ years of experience, is organized, passionate about great design, and eager to take on a variety of design tasks effectively. Creative problem solving, and the ability to take a strong concept to execution are fundamental to this role. We can offer high profile projects, a collaborative and innovative design culture, and strong growth potential within a dynamic team environment.
SCB is an architecture, interior design, and planning firm that practices nationally from offices in Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle. Since its inception in 1931, SCB has embraced a future-oriented design ethos that places inventiveness and innovation at the firm’s core. We value our people and are committed to personal and professional growth, including mentoring, professional association memberships, and licensing examination reimbursement, and a comprehensive benefits program. Our vibrant and diverse office culture embraces bold ideas, knowledge-sharing, and collaboration.
ABOUT THE JOB
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• In collaboration with the senior design team, formulates and implements project design philosophy in the work
• Prepares design presentations and technical drawings and solutions to complex architectural and interdisciplinary problems. Possesses strong software skills in Revit/Sketchup and Enscape
• Proficient and experienced in developing workplace test-fits.
• Contributes to, based on demonstrated experience, palette selection with strong knowledge of manufacturers price points and lead times as it pertains to project budgets.
• Develops FFE packages/specifications based on general knowledge of bid and procurement process, as well as an understanding of furniture manufacturers lead times and pricing structures.
• Develops and checks designs and details, coordinates work with others on project team and with outside project consultants.
• Exhibits thorough understanding of finish and building materials, furniture and furniture systems, building systems, construction details and construction techniques.
• Exhibits thorough understanding of building code, accessibility regulations, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance.
• Exhibits basic understanding of the Owner / Architect agreement, project schedule, and project budget parameters.
• Clear and effective communication with clients and team members
• A creative person with excellent graphic, organizational, and communication skills
• Strong conceptual thinking, with the ability to tell a story through design language
• Thorough understanding of all project phases of work including programming, space planning, color and material selections, FF&E selections, schematic design, design development, construction documents and construction contract administration.
• Promotes a positive team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned
• Attends Industry and Business Development
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
• Professional degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related field.
• A minimum of 5 years post graduate, full-time working experience.
• Highly proficient in drafting and graphic software programs – specifically Revit, Enscape,Sketchup, InDesign as well as Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Illustrator programs.
• Pursuit of NCIDQ Certificate Holder, Registered Interior Designer, or Licensed Architect, LEED AP