Electronic Plan Review Manager
City of Portland, Oregon / Portland, OR United States
ABOUT THE COMPANY
The Bureau of Development Services regulates all construction and land use for the City of Portland, Oregon. Find out more about the important work we do at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/. If you value supporting communities, protecting life and natural resources, have a collaborative problem solving mindset, take pride in your work, seek continual professional growth supported by your employer, and recognize the work/quality/and importance of all peoples regardless of their roles - we may be the employer of choice for you!
ABOUT THE JOB
Are you ready to serve in our new exciting role as the "owner" of our electronic plan review system, from its creation, through implementation, and maintenance? Have you served in a role as project manager and change agent for a technology project? Do you have an understanding of a building permit process or familiarity with construction plans, as well as customer service? Are you able to lead people and projects, and work with diverse stakeholders internally and externally? And are you an experienced collaborator who enjoys building effective relationships with all levels of an organization and its customers? If you like to learn, and lead a problem-solving team to build an intuitive, efficient system for many different users, you are probably a great fit for our team!
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) is the City bureau responsible for managing the review of building permit applications. Those building permit applications include construction plans currently submitted on paper, and City staff review these paper sets of construction/building plans for compliance with codes such as the zoning code, plumbing code, electrical code, building code, tree code, etc. We are preparing to develop and transition to a new software system which will allow us to review plans digitally/electronically, rather than on paper. BDS is seeking an Electronic Plan Review (EPR) Manager to plan, organize, supervise and as needed participate in the work of the Electronic Plan Review Section and programs. In this role, you will be responsible for working collaboratively with all City of Portland development review bureaus, external stakeholders, vendors, contractors, and customers on developing, implementing and maintaining the electronic plan review system.
In this exciting role, you will serve as the "owner" of the electronic plan review processes, identifying needed process improvements, schedule and service changes, staffing and resources, internal and external training about the new system, conflict resolution, etc. As the EPR Manager, you will:
* Track performance and work collaboratively to continuously improve on the services provided to the community in the areas of timeliness, efficiency, quality, equity, etc.
* Be a change agent within the Bureau, identifying trends within the industry and developing appropriate process improvement responses, and well as being a front-line implementer of the new system and the other technology systems that need to integrate with the EPR system.
* Be responsible for building effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders including internal customers, community/neighborhood groups, developers, politicians, and the media. Excellent oral and written communication skills, creative problem solving, and the ability to achieve practical solutions are critical to the work of this position.
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSION:
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer Optional Information Sessions that will provide you with details about this position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job, but attending will help you with the application process. You are welcome to join us for an optional session:
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
CH2M Center - Lincoln Room, 1st floor
2020 SW 4th Ave. Portland, OR 97201
Participate Remotely? For instructions on how to participate via Skype, please contact Madison at Madison.Hutt@portlandoregon.gov or (503) 823-1362 no later than 2:00 p.m. (PST) two business days prior to the informational session date.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
As the right person for this role, you will be responsible for developing and improving division programs and practices and contribute to the development of the section's annual budget. Cost containment strategies are applied while ensuring that safety and loss prevention goals and objectives are met, customer service standards are maintained, and services are provided in an equitable manner. This position is responsible for effectively managing personnel matters. As the right person for this role, you will provide leadership for the section, including mentoring direct reports and creating a high-performance, service-oriented work environment that supports the City's and bureau's missions, objectives and customer service goals.
To qualify the candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications:
1. Knowledge of building plan review processes and the current trends, codes, regulations, standards and laws applicable to permitting development in Portland, Oregon or another jurisdiction.
2. Knowledge of administration, planning, organization principles and program planning techniques, including the ability to organize, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment.
3. Knowledge of information technology and computer capabilities applicable to functional responsibilities.
4. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively, define issues, analyze problems, engage in problem solving and team building, communicate complex technical matters to non-technical individuals, and partner with diverse stakeholder groups, such as community members, historically underserved populations, developers, construction architects, management, and employees of other organizational units.
5. Demonstrated ability to plan, assign, oversee and coordinate the work of professional and technical subordinates, including the ability to train others in work processes and procedures, while serving in the role of project manager and change agent as new programs and processes are developed and implemented.
A competitive candidate for the position of Electronic Plan Review Manager will possess the qualifications/competencies identified in the Position Description and the knowledge, skills and abilities described in minimum qualifications. Applications must be received through the City of Portland Job Opportunities webpage (link above). Please be sure to provide sufficient information in your responses to the supplemental questions and your resume to display to our subject matter experts the extent of your qualification.
CONTACT TO APPLY