COORDINATING PLANNER (West Region)
City of Chicago- DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT / Chicago, IL
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner of Planning, the Coordinating Planner manages and supervises planners responsible for the development and implementation of land use planning and economic feasibility studies and apprise senior management of land use policies and plans through detailed maps, reports, and presentation materials. Working with other bureaus in DPD, the Coordinating Planner will facilitate planning and development activities to promote and implement the City’s economic development, design, land use, and sustainability goals. Other responsibilities include: 1) representing the City in meetings with business and community groups, 2) managing consultants conducting land use planning and economic feasibility studies, and 3) monitoring the implementation of public and private development projects.
ABOUT THE JOB
· Supervises a team of planners responsible for planning activities
· Manages and oversees the coordination of zoning, land use, and urban design studies, including maps and reports detailing social and economic trends and their impact on current and future resources and policies
· Evaluates development project proposals submitted by private consultants and public agencies for conformity with City development goals and objectives, government regulations, funding eligibility, and compliance with site planning and urban design best practices and guidelines
· Provides technical assistance to community organizations, delegate agencies, and developers concerning planning and development projects and related work plans through visioning and graphic representation, including: sketching, 3D representation and integration of planning and urban design best practices
· Facilitates community engagement in diverse communities with a history of concentrated disadvantage
· Plans, designs, and conducts large-scale planning studies and surveys impacting land use, zoning, social, and economic development issues
· Evaluates plans and implementation strategies prepared by the City, community groups, consultants, and/or developers for feasibility and compliance with City development goals and prepares planning programs, position papers, maps, and other graphic materials to advise senior management
· Coordinates planning efforts between department bureaus, City departments, community organizations, sister governmental agencies, and developers for the purpose of implementing project work plans
· Represents the department at public hearings and meetings to discuss proposed planning and redevelopment projects
· Develops and maintains relationships with private consultants, developers, and community groups regarding the implementation of planning programs and projects
· Manages planning initiatives from original study design through the implementation of the plan’s recommendations
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Environmental Planning, or a directly related field, plus five years of work experience in the development and management of major planning or research studies, including two years of supervisory experience related to the responsibilities of the position.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable
NOTE: To be considered for this position, you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered). If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Education & Employment Verification – Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview which will include a skills assessment and/or written exercise as part of the interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral and written parts of the interview will be selected.
Location: 121 N LaSalle Street, 10th Floor + Remote (temporary)
Days: Monday – Friday (occasional Saturdays will be required)
Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm (occasional evening hours will be required)
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Transportation Planning, Environmental Planning, or a directly related field, plus five (5) years of planning work experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, provided that the minimum degree requirement is met
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference for both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documents. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering “yes” or “no” to the question on the online application that asks, “Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?” In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 (Member Copy-4) to your online application which includes character service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationary stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Office on official stationary verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at (312) 744-4976 (voice) or (312) 744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer
CONTACT TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobdetail.ftl