Communications Manager - AIA Chicago
AIA Chicago / Chicago / Website
ABOUT THE COMPANY
AIA Chicago builds on our city's architectural legacy by advocating for the profession, sharing knowledge among members, and partnering with communities.
Fostering a culture of design excellence for equitable, sustainable places and spaces.
AIA Chicago is the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects, a collective voice of architects and serving 4000+ members in Chicago area. We are a not-for-profit 501(c)(6).
All AIA Chicago staff members share the following core responsibilities:
- Provide outstanding service and ensure a welcoming culture for Members, Allied Members, and visitors
- Answer basic questions about benefits and value of AIA membership, services, and programs
- Provide member care and customer service responses to frequently asked questions
- Advocate for and communicate the importance of design and the work of architects
- Promote a positive office culture of mutual respect, and maintain a flexible and collaborative attitude, working with other staff on projects, events, duties, and assignments as required
- Participate in all major Chapter events as needed, including but not limited to design awards and annual meetings
ABOUT AIA CHICAGO
We are a small office of 8 highly collaborative team members that supports flexibility, creativity, and leadership. We value new ideas and perspectives that improve our work, our collaboration, and the future of the organization. We are here because we believe in the work and are excited about the prospect of supporting our members’ work of designing equitable, sustainable places and spaces – here in Chicago and around the world.
AIA Chicago team members are currently working remotely with a planned phased return to the offices at 35 East Wacker Drive in summer 2021. Position requires frequent and regular computer and telephone use. Workplace is a smoke and drug-free environment. Occasional weekend and evening hours required.
We are actively seeking applicants with a range of backgrounds and viewpoints. AIA Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. It does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, criminal record, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. If you would like accessibility accommodations during the job application process, please contact us. AIA Chicago is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
ABOUT THE JOB
Goals of Position
The Communications Manager serves to:
- Successfully promote AIA Chicago’s programs, events, and news to its members, industry followers and the public
- Connect AIA Chicago members to each other and the public through a variety of e-communication tools, social media platforms, and its website
- Manage the graphic design production of digital and printed materials that aligns with AIA’s brand and identity
- Manage ongoing marketing and communication efforts: create and maintain content calendars, draft monthly communications reports to the board, post program and event listings, process analytics for social media, e-newsletter, and events
- Execute AIA Chicago’s comprehensive marketing plan to attract attention and attendance to programs, events, and membership
Member / Public Communication
- Plan, coordinate, write, and send AIA Chicago weekly and monthly e-newsletters
- Develop and execute a social media plan that grows and engages with followers
- Ensure that AIA Chicago’s websites contain current, compelling and well-presented information to our members and the public
- Gather member-submitted news and architectural news that impacts our members for promotion on AIA Chicago’s website and e-newsletters
Graphic Design and Identity
- Design web and print graphics that maintain a high-quality consistent brand identity. Ensure that materials meet AIA National branding guidelines
- Coordinate content development and migration for a future new website development
- Manage expenses within allocated budget
Programs and Events Support
- Collect and manage graphic assets for AIA’s award programs
- Assist Programs Manager with coordination of member or public programs to include event planning, marketing, communications, logistics and registration
- Attend and provide staff support for large programs and events as required
- Ensure all benefits to be included in communications pieces (newsletter and website) are arranged
- Produce all sponsorship printed material
- Maintain current logos in correct file formats and sizes
- Maintain and manage organization of digital graphic files, office files, and archiving
The Communications Manager reports to AIA Chicago’s Executive Director.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
- A strong interest in architecture and design
- Bachelor or Associate degree in Design, Communications, Marketing, or a related discipline
- 3-5 years of experience working in marketing or communications in a professional setting
- A proven track record of executing effective communications and PR strategies
- Design-related experience, particularly graphic design and production strongly preferred
- Strong experience and demonstrated ability using graphic design software, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Outstanding proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a website with basic HTML skills
- Experience in writing and curating content for major social media platforms
- Outstanding proficiency with Mail Chimp or similar email marketing software as the list administrator and producer of content for e-communication
- Strong, persuasive writing and detail-oriented editing
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, take responsibility for meeting deadlines, and be a skilled problem solver, with the ability to interface with a wide variety of people
- Excellent time-management skills and the ability to multi-task in a creative environment
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail are a must
- Experience working either within the built environment field (architecture, engineering, construction, development, real estate, urban planning) or a non-profit organization/association is also highly desired.
Commensurate with experience.
CONTACT TO APPLY
To apply, send a combined PDF of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to Jen Masengarb, Executive Director, AIA Chicago at email@example.com.
Links to digital portfolios or including sample work within your submitted PDF (max 5 pages) are welcome.
Position open until filled. Please no phone calls.