ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER [Planned Developments]
City of Chicago- DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT / Chicago, IL
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Under the oversight of the Deputy Commissioner, manages and oversees Planned Developments, Industrial Corridor Map Amendments, and Lakefront Protection Ordinance applications through the internal and public review process and prepares projects, studies, and other related analysis for Plan Commission hearing and presentation.
ABOUT THE JOB
· Develops, implements, and monitors programs designed to improve Chicago Plan Commission operations and efficiency
· Reviews, monitors, and coordinates written recommendations and supportive materials prepared for approval by Chicago Plan Commission and the Committee of Zoning
· In conjunction with the Zoning Bureau of the Department of Planning and Development, writes ordinances, creates policies, and drafts text amendments to the zoning code related to Planned Developments and the Chicago Plan Commission
· Testifies before various City approval bodies such as Plan Commission and Committee of Zoning as needed by the Zoning Administrator or Commissioner
· Directs subordinate personnel responsible for executing programmatic objectives and policies, and oversees their compliance with department rules
· Establishes work priorities for Chicago Plan Commission-related programs and initiatives
· Apprises the Commissioner and other departmental managers of the status of Chicago Plan Commission-eligible projects
· Represents the Commissioner and the department at conferences, meetings, and to the general public regarding the operations of the Chicago Plan Commission
· Oversees the preparation of major Chicago Plan Commission-related contracts to which the department is a party
· Communicates instructions issued by the Zoning Administrator or Commissioner to subordinate staff
· Prepares and manages Chicago Plan Commission’s budget
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to the duties performed, including five (5) years of work experience related to the position, of which two (2) years are in a supervisory role related to the responsibilities of the position or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program.
NOTE: You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable
NOTE: To be considered for this position, you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered). If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Education & Employment Verification – Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it related to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diplomas must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
· Previous experience with the City of Chicago zoning code
· Previous experience with projects that have gone through the Chicago Plan Commission such as planned developments, lakefront protection ordinance, and/or industrial corridor map amendments
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at (312) 744-4976 (voice) or (312) 744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
CONTACT TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobdetail.ftl