Architecture Administrative Associate
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. / Northbrook, Illinois
ABOUT THE COMPANY
WJE is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our applied experience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
ABOUT THE JOB
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. (WJE) relies on the talent and dedication of our administrative staff to deliver project and operations support to meet the demands of a fast-paced work environment. We have an opportunity for an administrative professional to support our Architecture group in Northbrook, Illinois. The group currently includes a staff of twenty-eight engineers and architects who are involved in all aspects of WJE’s work. Projects include investigation and repair of existing buildings, historic preservation, and consulting on construction of new buildings. Support of the billable staff will be shared with one other existing administrative professional.
While this is a traditional administrative role at its core, it offers unique opportunities to be involved with interesting preservation, architecture, and engineering projects, including reviewing and editing comprehensive and technical reports of varying length, compiling materials for detailed requests for proposals, and assisting with the creation of external presentations and professional publications.
Administrative staff are encouraged to take on responsibility and seek challenges in the position. A successful person in this role will demonstrate strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail and a strong ability to adapt to changing priorities and project demands from multiple staff members, all while maintaining superior interpersonal skills. While many of the duties of this role will be clerical in nature, some of the demands include high level administrative projects, requiring initiative, independent thinking, and the ability to synthesize complex concepts clearly and accurately. Advanced writing and proofreading skills will serve the candidate well.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
- Bachelor’s degree (English, communications, marketing, business, or similar a plus) with at least three years of prior administrative work experience preferred
- Enthusiasm for supporting others in their work
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills with emphasis on editing and proofreading
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities and project deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work with diverse professionals at all seniority levels in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive problem-solving skills and willingness to take on various responsibilities
- High capacity for learning, retaining, and independently executing processes
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- A/E/C-related industry experience a plus
- Performing general office functions, such as processing correspondence, mail, and FedEx packages; managing office supplies and equipment; scanning, copying, printing, and filing documents, etc.
- Coordinating internal staff meetings, webinars, lunch presentations, conference calls, and office outings/activities
- Working closely with other administrative associates to ensure flow of work, effective communication, and a cohesive team environment
- Employing advanced word processing, proofreading, editing, and formatting skills to support billable professionals (architects and engineers) in developing project documents in accordance with the firm’s format and writing standards; documents could range from proposals, meeting minutes, and letters to comprehensive and technical reports of varying length, specifications, and professional publications.
- Assisting billable professionals with project management tasks such as project correspondence, project scheduling, budget tracking, billing, and client contact
- Assisting in compiling qualifications submittals in response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Qualifications (RFQs) and maintaining information on pre-qualification documentation
- Preparing marketing materials (e.g. project profiles, personnel resumes) for use in developing new business
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position requires visual acuity and listening ability.
- Individuals must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier/scanner, telephone, voice mail system, and other office equipment.
- Position requires the ability to remain for extended periods at a workstation, as well as the ability to lift 25 pounds.
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.