Architect II – Historic Preservation Division, Chicago Dept. of Planning & Development
City of Chicago / Chicago, IL
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Applications are being accepted through July 22, 2019. Under supervision, the Architect II will coordinate the Chicago Landmarks permit review process, including review of permit applications, review of pre-permit projects, conducting site visits, communicating with applicants and stakeholders, writing reports, and making presentations to the Commission on Chicago Landmarks, and perform related duties as required.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Reviews permit applications and architectural plans for compliance with guidelines and standards
- Visits construction sites to verify compliance of permit conditions
- Conducts pre-permit review meetings and coordinates solutions with applicants
- Consults manufacturers and consultants on technical issues as needed
- Analyzes pre-permit projects and prepares reports and presentation materials for monthly committee meetings
- Makes presentations at both internal and public meetings
- Coordinates with other government organizations in expediting project through different agencies
- Manages larger or other division projects beyond permit process
- Works with established timelines, processes, and monitors the progress of assigned projects
- Tracks and maintains required documentation for assigned projects
- Responds to general inquiries from the public by phone and email
Job location is at City Hall, 10th Floor, 121 North LaSalle Street.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a BA in Architecture plus one year of professional architectural work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, provided that the minimum degree requirement is met.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
This position requires applicants to successfully complete an interview which will include a written exercise as part of the interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, based on the oral and written parts of the interview will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous experience reviewing or preparing architectural drawings
- Previous experience working on historic building projects
- Previous experience with City of Chicago or other municipal zoning codes
- Previous experience with City, State, and/or Federal building codes
- Previous experience making public presentations to large groups of people
- Ability to comfortably make public presentations to large groups of people
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office products
The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel and military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources.