Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance Director for Cook County, Illinois
Cook County, Illinois / Chicago, with travel throughout Cook County
ABOUT THE COMPANY
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the direction of the Director of Capital Planning and Policy, serves as the lead technical expert on architectural access compliance. Drafts policies and procedures for implementing compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards and accessible design in County capital projects. Analyzes, establishes, oversees, and implements building projects related to accessibility. Recommends design concepts for access to new and existing facilities according to ADA compliance requirements. Drafts required annual ADA and related reports. Serves as the County’s Subject Matter Expert on architectural, engineering, and construction (AEC) aspects of accessibility. Consults with other agencies on accessibility issues and performs other duties as assigned.
Closing Date: January 6, 2021, at 11:59:00 PM.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a NAAB-accredited professional degree in Architecture. (Must provide original transcripts at time of interview)
- License to practice architecture in Illinois, or other state that would allow reciprocity. (Must provide proof at time of interview).
- General knowledge of applicable laws related to accessibility, specifically the Americans with Disabilities Act. (Is Required)
- Five (5) years’ full-time work experience developing or implementing the design, permitting and construction of building projects. (Is Required)
- Ability to travel to project sites. (Is Required)
- Three (3) years’ full-time work experience in regulatory compliance work with strong emphasis on accessibility including experience working with disabled individuals to ensure access to facilities in areas such as public accommodations, public rights of way, and communications.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. This position requires successful completion of post-offer tests, which may include a background check, drug screen and medical examination. COOK COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICANTS
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Thorough knowledge of ADA requirements and other structural access laws/regulations through training or practical experience, including familiarity with Universal Design principles.
- Knowledge of barrier-free design; architectural design; structural systems; construction materials and assemblies; energy and environment; and municipal, county, and state building code requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of design, engineering, planning, estimating, funding, contract administration and preparation relative to major capital development and construction projects with respect to governmental agencies and/or projects.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance and permitting requirements with the ability to interact with regulatory agencies.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills to effectively communicate with senior County, other governmental, and private sector personnel.
- Skill managing multiple projects and groups of people.
- Skill delegating authority to front-line personnel.
- Ability to analyze, review and document the performance of non-county professional services consultants/contractors engaged in County construction projects.
- Ability to coordinate development, analyze feasibility studies for capital improvement projects and, as required, to assume primary or sole responsibility in such matters.
- Ability to read blueprints, sketches, and drawings.
- Ability to work in a union environment.
- Ability to problem solve in a cost-effective manner.
- Current knowledge of Federal, State, County and local policies and trends related to ADA compliance.
Benefits Package: Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage; Basic Term Life Insurance; Pension Plan and Deferred Compensation Program; Employee Assistance Program; Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time. You may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF).