Call for Nominations: 2021 Board of Directors
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: 2021 AIA CHICAGO BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Submissions Open September 11-30, 2020
Submit your resume, letter of interest (detailed below) and a high-resolution headshot to Steve Riforgiato, email@example.com by September 30 at 6:00 PM.
To assist the Nominating Committee in preparing a slate of nominees with complimentary aptitudes for the Board of Directors, please submit a letter of interest to address any of the relevant points below. Please emphasize those areas in which you feel you have particular strengths or unique offerings. There is no expectation that everyone will have something to offer in each area. Feel free to describe any other characteristics not listed here that you feel might be of benefit to the Board of Directors.
Board members are required to:
- Attend monthly meetings
- Attend local AIA Chicago programs and events
- Participate in committees such as sponsorship cultivation, advocacy and member engagement (see below)
- AIA Chicago has a long history of requiring its members to adhere to the highest ethical standards. Below are links to our AIA Chicago bylaws and AIA Code of Ethics
- As a resource for its members in service to society, AIA Chicago promotes positive change through the power of design. We advocate for the value of architecture and give architects the resources they need to do their best work
LETTER OF INTEREST—RELEVANT POINTS OF DISCUSSION:
General Information: Describe your area of practice or specialty, firm size, your role in your organization, and the level of support and encouragement your employer will provide if you are elected to the board or appointed to a committee.
Area of Interest: Discuss your past and current involvement in AIA Chicago committees and Knowledge Communities (KC) and whether you have an interest in acting as a liaison between the board and any specific committee or KC. See below for a list of board committees and a link to the KC page. Click here to read more about AIA Chicago's Knowledge Communities
Refer to the Committees and Areas of Responsibility below and list any that interest you, and describe the specific assets or experience you would bring to them.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: Founded in 2018, the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee (EDI Committee) promotes, advocates, and creates opportunities for greater equity, diversity and inclusiveness in the practice of architecture.
- Sponsorship: Cultivate a robust and dedicated group of companies and individuals to provide event sponsorship for AIA Chicago's many celebrations, symposia, and more.
- Membership: Explore opportunities to grow AIA Chicago's architect, associate, student and affiliate membership.
- Advocacy: Create and curate programming and partnerships that direct conversations and assist in development of policy around issues such as climate change, economic impact within the City of Chicago, community design, professional integrity, and more.
- Honors and Awards: Lead the development of juries and competitions throughout the year.
- Personnel: Work in partnership with the Executive Vice President and Board of Directors to provide guidance, oversight and support as it develops and implements employee staffing, performance management and compensation systems.
OTHER INFORMATION TO INCLUDE
Social, Professional & Academic network: Discuss any connections you would bring to the board that could broaden and deepen AIA Chicago’s engagement with allied professionals, architecture schools, the owner/client community, the general public, and other relevant communities.
Time commitment: Discuss your ability to prepare for and participate in regular meetings and your commitment to attend major chapter events and functions such as the Annual Meeting, Designight, National Convention, Grassroots, New Member Reception, etc.
Other Assets: Describe any other special experience you may have such as marketing, accounting, budgeting, organization administration, grant proposal writing, etc.
Personal Statement: Concisely describe your motivation to serve on the AIA Chicago board of directors.
Include a high-res headshot and bio with your materials. Please limit your letter of interest to one page. A one-page resume should also be included.
Address the letter to the AIA Chicago Nominating Committee and email it to Steve Riforgiato at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00pm on September 30, 2020.