Friday / September 09, 2022 / 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Urban areas have benefit immensely from modern façade systems. How do we ensure the expectations for privacy and quiet match the thermal and daylighting performance already achieved? We will discuss details and techniques for ensuring appropriate quiet from the exterior for all envelope types and between adjacent interiors along a curtainwall. Also included are some case studies of a Chicago high school nearby an airport, stacked music rehearsal rooms and mullion conditions at private offices and conferencing areas.
- Learn the acoustical metrics for glazing systems--STC and OITC
- Discover the basic physical attributes that limit acoustical performance
- Learn what architectural detailing approaches can maximize acoustical performance
- Discover general approaches to maximize performance while minimizing cost.
Rob Miller is a Senior Acoustics Consultant at Threshold with 15 years’ experience. His work has explored the sound isolation of three theatre spaces that can adapt and change into 11 different configurations in the state-of-the-art new construction like the Ronald O. Perelman Center in New York to renovation work across the country. His background in music and interest in the mechanics behind musical instruments led to undergraduate studies in Music Education and a Masters in Acoustics. Prior to Threshold, he worked with Sparling, later acquired by Stantec.
John Strong is a Senior Acoustics Consultant. Since joining Threshold in 2011, he has gained a decade of experience designing acoustic experiences in spaces ranging from high schools to Al Wasl Plaza for the Expo 2020 site. He initiated the Research and Development arm of the office and submitting a paper recently to the International Communication Association Conference about Grasshopper integration. He sits with four different bands professionally outside of the office, playing the sax in Jazz Combo and Hard Rock bands based in Chicago. His performance background gives him an opportunity to connect with artists as well as he does with architects. For five years, he taught music theory and technique to grade-school students in suburban Chicago.
- For BEC Chicago members, an invite with registration link will be sent out approximately 7 to 10 days in advance of event.
- For non-BEC Chicago members interested in attending, contact Jeff Diqui at email@example.com to request an invite.