Friday / July 31, 2020 / 12:01 AM - 11:59 PM
Canstruction is ON - in cyberspace! The Greater Chicago Food Depository and the Canstruction Chicago Committee are hosting a virtual Canstruction this year because the demand for food support is greater than ever. Since January, the need for food and services in our area has increased by 90%.
New this year:
- we have a theme: Chicago's CAN-do Spirit
- it's still a team competition, but individuals are welcome to participate as well
What does this mean? Well, you will continue to form teams and design your structures. However, instead of physically building these structures at theMART, teams will fundraise and donate those funds to the Greater Chicago Food Depository so that they can purchase food directly to serve our community. This will culminate in a virtual ChicagoCAN, our annual awards ceremony. Click here for full details and registration.
- July 31 Submission of draft designs
- August 14 Submission of final designs and meeting fundraising minimums
- August 27 Virtual Awards Ceremony, including Peoples Choice award, and opening of online entries exhibit
Virtual Build Guidelines
Because we we will not building these structures, there will be more flexibility in our build guidelines this year. So, if you want to design a structure that is 30 feet tall, go for it! This year is an opportunity for everyone to be as creative as possible. While this is a new and different formatl, we aim to make this event as fun and impactful as ever. View a recording of our June 17 Virtual Open House here.
There is no registration fee this year, but there are fundraising goals:
- for teams: $3750 (minimum)
- for individuals: $350 (minimum)
Because Canstruction Chicago will not build real structures this year, we will not be submitting our award winners to the Canstruction international competition for 2020.
>>> Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org