Oak Park, Illinois / United States of America
The original square 2-story building, built in 1928 as a Cadillac LaSalle car dealership, was designed by noted Detroit architect Albert Kahn. Kahn was nationally known for his large muscular industrial, automotive and civic architecture.
The dealership eventually closed and the building was sold to a local cable company in the 1980’s. The historic façade was partially demolished in order to completely cover the building with a synthetic stucco system, thus destroying and concealing all historic qualities of the Kahn design. The cable company abandoned the building in 2008.
An affordable housing group saw an opportunity to restore the building. Their vision was realized by creating an ‘L’ shaped building and adding two floors to create a 4-story building with 51 units.
The original two floors of the building, on the street and corner elevations, were restored to the original Kahn design and then repeated on the new floors by continuing the historic facade elements upward. The building was then capped with precast copings to match the original.
The final project revitalized a derelict building and provided affordable housing, a quality commercial presence on a struggling commercial street and created a historic restoration of an important American architect, Albert Kahn.
Architect of RecordWeese Langley Weese
ContractorInterfaith Housing Development Corp
General ContractorMcShane Construction Co
- Eriksson Engineering
- Forefront Structural Engineers
- Consolidated Consulting Engineers