Herman Miller Los Angeles Showroom
- Division: Commercial
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Architect: tvsdesign (architectof record)
- Architect of record: Lynch Eisinger Design (base building shell & core)
- Client: Herman Miller, Inc.
- General contractor: Howard Building Corporation
- Consultants: Lighting Design Alliance (lighting); Structural Focus (structural); ARC Engineering (MEP); Convia Inc. (systems); GMB (commissioning); Propp + Guerin (graphics); Richard J Edwards Design urniture); Owen-Ames-Kimball Co. (Construction Mngr.)
The showroom interior for a furniture manufacturer needs to deftly play second fiddle and not steal the show. The architects created an 18,000-square-foot showroom space that casts a spotlight on the furniture while creating a harmonizing and elegant backdrop. "[The space] seems to emphasize the brand," one juror remarked. "It's all about selecting materials—rough next to smooth," said another juror. "[This interior] shows what you can do with a can of paint and really good design." The building's existing bowstring wood trusses created a challenge for the design team since they could not structurally support displays. The design team adapted by creating freestanding, parlor-like display areas.