Mies van der Rohe's 1951 McCormick House was moved a block and a half from its previous Elmhurst location to its current site in Wilder Park and incorporated into the Elmhurst Art Museum's new facility. The museum's architects, DeStefano and Partners, were careful to distinguish between the extant Mies structure and the new addition. The result is a contemporary loft space with an exposed steel structure that is similar to that of the McCormick House, yet the new construction creates a compatible design of joists and columns that is more economical and simplified than Mies's refined design.
The museum consists of a series of three pavilions framing a courtyard. A gallery block, education block, and the McCormick House are connected by a white painted steel and glass "cloister" that provides circulation and transparency. In contrast, the gallery and education blocks have only shaded, sandblasted glass clerestory windows to maximize wall space for exhibitions. The jury commented that this project "reflects the original but has its own character."