Hollow Core Door - What is it Good For?
- To demonstrate creative repurposed ideas using hollow core doors.
- To engage designers, architects and furniture makers in the design/build process using hollow core doors.
Designers are challenged to create a design concept using a single, standard sized, wood hollow core door. Mechanical and adhesive fasteners may be utilized in the design, along with door hardware and finishes. These materials must be found at the Rebuilding Exchange, with the exception of adhesive fasteners.
Entrants will be asked to provide up to 3 drawings/renderings of their concept. Winning entries will be selected by a small jury based on the submittals. The winning entries will be fabricated by a Rebuilding Exchange build team and displayed at the High Design Holiday Party, a joint holiday party of the Rebuilding Exchange, USBGC-Illinois Chapter and AIA Chicago, on Friday December 9, 2011. Designs are the property of the entrant.
- No Submittal Fee
- Entrants should submit up to 3 digital drawings/images of the proposed concept.
- Digital images should be 300 dpi, JPEG high quality-low compression, 1600 x 1200, in either landscape or portrait format, and combined into a single PDF arranged in the order you wish them to be viewed.
- No identifying information should be included in the PDF. Please use the naming convention as follows : HDC_[name of project]
- Email the above submission information to SPAwards@aiachicago.org on or before December 1, 2011 at 12 noon.
It is intended that all entries will be displayed at the event via screen projection on a repeating loop. Winners will be asked to provide detailed documents to facilitate in the fabrication of their design.
Winning submittals will display exemplary creativity and excellent design. Each entry will be weighed individually for its merits, not in competition with each other.
November 3: Call for Entries
December 1: Deadline for Entries
December 1–9: Fabricate Winning Designs
December 9: High Design Holiday Party & Exhibit
- When I come down to look at the available materials for the competition, can I take materials with me, or do I just need to document what's there?
- Since you will not be fabricating your design, you should come to the ReBuilding Exchange prepared to take measurements and photos of materials you wish to use. The ReBuilding Exchange has set aside a variety of Hollow Core Doors for use.
- Can I specify additional materials that are not present at the ReBuilding Exchange?
- No, it is part of the challenge of this competition to use existing materials found at the ReBuilding Exchange.
- Can I see materials online?
- No, you need to come to the ReBuilding Exchange in person at 2160 N. Ashland. Please visit www.rebuildingexchange.org for hours, location, and directions.
« Back to annual meeting